Recovery Blog

Template for the Future

Posted in Transparency by Recovery.gov on June 14, 2011

Earl Devaney, Chairman of the Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board has laid out a plan for expanding transparency and accountability beyond Recovery funding to include all government spending.

This plan would eliminate redundancies and inefficiencies, saving taxpayers tens of millions of dollars and providing increased accountability and transparency.  The main feature of the plan is the elimination of eight separate data collection websites across government.  Instead, they would be rolled up and combined into a “universal one-stop shop” consisting of three sites:  one to collect data from recipients of federal awards; one to collect agency data; and one to display and visualize all the data, just as Recovery.gov does for Recovery data.

Read the entire Template for the Future.

7 Responses

1. Colleen said, on June 23, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Future? what future has the u.s goverment left for little selfemployed people like that own auto repair shop and because the econime went south I don’t know if me & my husband can even eat next week let alone pay are morgage. after surviving the 2007 flood then loose it all because I can’t even make a income to pay my bills. and by the way because of the 2007 me and my husband work 12 to 18 hours a day to recover are home because I had to add a full time job onto running my selfemployed business’s one a video transfer whitch is closed know because I can’t keep the over head and the auto repair is sinking. if you think it keeps us warm at night because you spend my tax dollar on fixing so dump park or giving a bank money

My Grandfather and Father and uncle that faught for my freedom for the IRs to screw thing up so bad that I cant’ make a resonable income to live in this country

2. Gmac Home Loans said, on August 29, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Any plan that will reduce inefficiencies when it comes to federal finances is a positive thing. If money can be saved by streamlining data then that is something that is well worth pursuing. The housing industry is still shaky considering the recent downgrade of U.S credit. Transparency in government spending is a good thing because it will hold federal employees accountable plus citizens will feel secure knowing that everything is “out in the open”.

3. Car Servicing said, on September 15, 2011 at 6:42 am

How much is it going to cost to implement these 3 new websites? Are they already in existence or do they have be developed from scratch, and if so how long will it take to get the cost recouped from the savings of not using the old system?

4. julian said, on September 17, 2011 at 2:38 am

Our federal finances are so screwed up. I don’t think I’ll ever see the day when our federal deficit is under 10 trillion ever again.

5. kel said, on November 2, 2011 at 2:47 pm

It’s really a shame what this country has come to. When thinking about it, it’s very overwhelming. I would have to agree with Julian and Colleen. Great points from you both.

6. Michael Keating said, on August 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm

They should centralize and streamline as much as possible. Setting a solid technology foundation is really important. Having said that, I also know the irresponsible spending and incompetent government is causing real hardship as auto repair shops (my industry) have closed in this down economy.

7. Spanish online said, on September 30, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I think a program like this is expensive. The goverment is thinking about it, it’s very overwhelming. The citizens will feel secure if the government transparency is out in the open.